Friday, March 21, 2014

Four Months After Typhoon Yolanda

Last Tuesday, hubby and I decided to visit our hometown, Tacloban City. I was missing home and my family. Since, it was a last minute decision on a Monday night and there was no time to book a flight, we took a much longer travel 2.5 hours ride by sea and 2 hours ride by land. Our boat ride was at 5:30 am. I do not really like traveling by boat because of seasickness, but I endure the 2.5 hours of travel because of this
For the first time in many years I was able to see the sunrise. It was beautiful. Such an amazing creation of God.
Upon arriving Ormoc City, we rode a van to take us to Tacloban City a 2 hours drive. Ormoc City is one of the hardest hit by the Super Typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda, in Tacloban it was both the storm surge and strong winds that wreaked havoc , in Ormoc it was the strong wind. I saw roofless structures / houses even trees lay flat as if the leaves in one direction.
This is outside the city proper of Ormoc.

We arrived in Tacloban City around 11:00 am. In the afternoon I slept mostly I was still feeling dizzy. Electricity in our place was restored the following day.

My parent's house was partially damaged, half of the roof were flown( a tarpaulin temporarily shelter them from the rains.), a few shattered windows and kitchen door damage. Their small business which  is house rental was severely damaged. 

An old house actually of my parents which they turned to house for rent.

It would take them months to rebuild both house and a lot of money. But we are more grateful that they survived the typhoon and no one was hurt.

For the next couple of days, hubby and I went around the city. It's been more than four months since typhoon Yolanda/Haiyan but the damage and destruction is still visible. Collapsed houses, roofless structures/houses. Relief operations are still abundant. Help is really coming both foreign and the government. Through the good hearts of these people, the people of Tacloban are starting to pick up the pieces and are hopefully recovering.

Here are a few photos

 San Jose area
A beach resort in San Jose going to the airport.
Airport of Tacloban.

Palo, Leyte
Palo Gym. 
Palo, Leyte
Seminary
Mass grave

Tanuan, Leyte

Sto. Nino Church, Tacloban City

No comments:

Post a Comment